Luna City Mint
One of the more distinctive promotional measures undertaken by the Luna Project has been the Medalet Program. Future phases of this program, including the introduction of new designs, may be more readily implemented if the Project has an in-house production capability. We have reason to believe that there may be outside business, beyond the requirements of the Project, which would help pay for maintaining this capability. As a result, the description below speaks in present terms of matters we are working towards. If you would like to explore the possibilities of medallic art, please contact us!
Help us buy a coin press, and receive exclusive rewards! Our fundraising campaign is now underway!
The main objective of this campaign is the creation of a new design of Luna Project medalets. To accomplish this requires assembling tools for coining — principally, a screw or "fly" press, used in coining since the sixteenth century, but now mostly abandoned in favour of high-speed machinery — along with coinage blanks, packaging, and other supplies and miscellany. This will leave us with a well-outfitted Mint, ready to take on new projects.
To accomplish this, we are working with The CrowdFunder Show (WUTV, Buffalo, New York), to provide exposure for the campaign and the Luna Project as a whole.
What is the Luna City Mint?
- The purpose of the Luna City Mint is to produce medallic art objects as part of Luna Project promotional efforts, and to undertake small-volume bespoke minting and related business 'on the side', in order to generate revenue to support its own existence.
- The Luna City Mint employs a mixture of traditional and modern methods to produce short runs of medallic art objects, which the large commercial mints are not set up to do, at lower prices and with faster turnaround than is practicable for fine-art medallists.
- The Luna City Mint is not, and does not purport to be, part of or affiliated with any government, nor are its products represented as being legal tender, or intended for use as money.*
What can the Luna City Mint do for you?
The possible uses of custom-made or customized tokens and medallions are nearly endless, but here are a few ideas.
- Store card tokens to promote your business — find out how your customers respond before investing in thousands of pieces
- Spielemarks for your games, board, tabletop, or live-action — suit your in-game currency to the setting
- Wedding party favours — a memento of your special day they'll keep around long after the cake is gone
- Band merchandise — make that sale special, or just make it, full stop
- Membership tokens or challenge coins for your club or organization
We are also building up the following capabilities :
- A coin has three sides. We can mark your pieces on the edge with a motto of your choice (at a modest extra charge), or with a groove, making it simple to add a suspension loop by wrapping a wire around.
- Our engraving capability allows us to apply custom text to individual pieces, so that you can (for example) mark a gift with the name of the intended recipient.
- Some design elements are popular enough for us to make 'stock dies', which can be used for your project without incurring a die charge. If your die concept seems to make a good stock die, we may rebate part of the die charge.
- If your needs change, we can supply large-volume orders transparently through our existing business arrangements with firms serving that market.
* In keeping with the general policy of the Project, which makes no claim to sovereignty or government in Luna, the Luna City Mint does not issue any purported Moon Currency, or anything of a similar description. As with the passports and deeds which have been issued by various persons, we encourage the public to treat all such items purely as novelties, having sentimental or entertainment value only.
Furthermore, United States law (Acts of 22 April 1864, 8 June 1864, 16 May 1866, &c) prohibits under severe penal sanctions the making and uttering, without authority, of "any coins… intended for the use and purpose of current money, whether in the resemblance of coins of the United States or of foreign countries, or of original design." Any use of products of the Luna City Mint as currency in private exchanges is entirely a matter between the parties, and the Mint neither does nor can assume any responsibility in relation to such activity.mint.lunarcc.org Version 0.1 — 2012-195